Articulate 360, Camtasia, Adobe XD, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Screencast-O-matic.
Qualitative and quantitative research process
Theatrical design, visual and graphic design, interior design, artist
Team development, stakeholder buy-in, negotiation, project development, timeline and deadlines, and performance evaluation.
Academic writing, technical writing, creative writing specifically playwriting
Creative and accomplished learning consultant with over 30 years of experience in instructional and assessment design. Proven experience in managing successful projects from needs analysis to the evaluation of program effectiveness. Advanced knowledge in learning theory, visual design, curriculum theory, and assessment/ research design.
- Authored eLearning for adult and youth tutor training program using Articulate Storyline.
- Developed eLearning courses in education, theatre, ethics, and general education for higher education institutions integrating research-based practices.
- Designed distance/blended courses using Moodle, Blackboard, and WebCT using industry best practices.
- Created training for 500+ pre-service educators in instructional design, assessment methodologies, learning theory, and arts integration for P-12 education programs.
- Led an entire university community in the development, implementation, assessment, approval, and final evaluation and reporting of a 7-year accreditation project [Writing in the Disciplines] involving 50+ instructors and 1000+ students, meeting multiple deadlines, obtaining approval for both the proposal and final report, and establishing program sustainability.
- Orchestrated the development, implementation, assessment, and approval of an Ethics Across the Campus Plagiarism Policy/ Program involving content experts, ethicists, and legal analysts resulting in a policy that was approved by the faculty, staff, and administration.
- Executed a fundraising campaign that raised an estimated $150,000 over three years for the revival of a small professional theatre company resulting in the successful return to an entire production seven-shown season with a $450,000 annual budget.
- Supervised 18 pan-curricular university program coordinators for 3-years with a total budget of over $300,000.
- Presided as Chair of the Faculty, for a three-year term, overseeing 100+ policies governing and advocating for 125+ faculty.
- Interviewed and hired faculty, instructor, and adjunct positions for all schools and departments across the university.
- Served as a state delegate for the Kennedy Center for the Arts Alliance for Arts Education Committee.
- Served as a Founding Fellow of the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts A+ Schools of NC program working with 27 P-12 schools and 2000+ teachers for five years on curriculum design, assessment, and program evaluation.
- Served as a volunteer consultant for Literacy Together, formerly the Literacy Council of Buncombe County, to develop a strategic plan involving the design of the stakeholder interview protocol, the interview process, data collection, and data analysis.
- Served as a master teacher and curriculum specialist for the NC Department of Public Instruction.
- Worked for the Center for Applied Research and Assessment, evaluating grant proposals and researching program effectiveness for several nonprofit organizations in Western NC.
J. McKinley Brown Consulting
Instructional Designer, eLearning Consultant, Researcher & Writer
Mars Hill University
Professor of Education and Theatre, Assistant VP for Academic Affairs, Dean of Adult and Graduate Studies
Center for Applied Research and Assessment
Research Assistant and Program Evaluator
Catawba Co. Schools & Durham Public Schools
Theatre Arts Educator
Doctor of Education University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Curriculum and Instruction
Master of Education Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX
Master of Education University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
Bachelor of Creative Arts University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC
Musical Theatre Performance