Jim M. Brown, EdD, M.Ed, BCA
Instructional Designer, Educator, Writer
- More than 30 years providing curricular, instructional, and assessment design; qualitative research; professional training; and teaching at public, private, and nonprofit institutions virtually and in-person.
- Dedicated leadership spanning 30+ years with public school educators, administrators, university professors, department heads, university deans, and nonprofit directors and staff.
- Certified Distance Learning Educator with over 15 years of experience designing creative and engaging online instruction that optimizes learning in a virtual environment.
- Successful program and project manager skilled at all phases of the process from inception to implementation to final evaluation and reporting.
Innovative Curriculum and Instructional Design
- Designed online tutor training for adult and youth literacy programs for the Literacy Council of Buncombe County in collaboration with organization staff using e-learning applications plus video and imaging software.
- Developed 50+ undergraduate and graduate courses in teacher education, theatre, and general studies.
- Collaborated with 30+ arts educators to develop a two-week in-service training curriculum to 2000+ teachers participating in the A+ Schools of NC Program delivered over a five-year period.
- Knowledgeable in six different curricular models and four assessment frameworks.
- Served on the General Studies Revision Committee that redesigned a university-wide general studies curriculum for undergraduate students.
Excellence in Teaching and Training
- Over thirty-years of experience teaching young people and adults to learn and live to their fullest potential.
- Served as a consultant and founding fellow for the Thomas S. Kenan Institute for the Arts A+ Schools of North Carolina Program working with 27 schools and 2000+ teachers for five years on arts integration, curriculum design, and assessment and evaluation.
- Trained 500+ preservice educators in instructional design, assessment methodologies, learning theory, and literacy development in elementary, middle, and secondary education programs.
- Co-taught online training and provided technical support for adult literacy tutor training.
- Experienced online distance learning educator for 15+ years developing and assessing courses using Moodle, Blackboard, and WebCT.
- Certified Advanced Online Instructor by the Online Learning Consortium.
- Taught workshops in arts and literacy integration using the Library of Congress’ Adventure of the American Mind project to educators across western North Carolina.
Quality Assessment and Evaluation
- Collaborated with 50+ NC educators led by Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe to develop a portfolio assessment system to be used state-wide to assess student learning outcomes and growth.
- Produced grant and program evaluations for educational and nonprofit organizations in North and South Carolina often in collaboration with other researchers and evaluators.
- Certified academic program evaluator for the Southern Association of College and Schools Commission on Colleges.
Operations and Administration
- Oversaw a budget of $350,000 which included an off-site facility, adjunct contracts, staff salaries, and operations funding.
- Supported the university provost and the six academic deans in budget planning, curricular and program revision, faculty evaluations, and hiring new faculty and instructors.
- Managed an evening adult education program in nursing, education, business, social work and criminal justice with a team of three staff members and 45+ adjunct instructors.
Supervision and Management
- Served as President and Chair of the Faculty at Mars Hill University overseeing 100+ policies governing and advocating for a 125+ faculty.
- Successfully led the entire university community in the development, implementation, assessment, and final evaluation and reporting of a significant accreditation project involving 50+ university professors and instructors.
- Provided leadership and supervision for 18 curricular and academic support programs ranging from Regional Studies, Women and Gender Studies, and Community Engagement to Supplemental Instruction, Academic Support Center, Writing Center, and Math Center.
E-Tools for Learning – Symballo, Poll Everwhere, Padlet, Socrative, Prezi, Haiku Deck, Google Suite; Learning Managment Systems – Moodle, Blackboard, WebCT, Google Classroom, Edmodo, Canvas; Video Design and Editing Software – ScreenCast-O’Matic; Software Applications – Microsoft Office Suite, Articulate 360
Current – Owner Operator of J. McKinley Brown Consulting, Asheville, NC
2000-2020 Professor and Academic Administrator, Mars Hill University, Mars Hill, NC
2002-2006 Researcher and Facilitator, Education & Research Consortium of Western North Carolina Adventure of the American Mind, Asheville, NC
2000-2006 Consultant and Program Evaluator, Center for Applied Research and Assessment, Mars Hill, NC
1990-2000 Drama Teacher and A+Schools Fellow, Catawba County Schools, Durham Public Schools, Kenan Institute for the Arts
Education and Professional Development
Doctor of Education ● Curriculum and Instruction ● University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC
Master of Education ● Reading ● Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, TX
Master of Education ● Theatre Education ● University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Greensboro, NC
Bachelor of Creative Arts ● Theatre Arts ● University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Charlotte, NC
Certification ● Advanced Online Instruction ● Online Learning Consortium, Boston, MA
Certification ● Tier I Project GLAD ● Orange County Department of Education, Costa Mesa, CA
Licensure ● Public Schools of North Carolina Legacy License – Reading K-12, Curriculum Instruction Specialist, Elementary Education, Theatre Arts ● Raleigh, NC